On June 21, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., at the Loft, the Armenian Red Cross Society, within the framework of the UNHCR-funded "Refugee Protection and Integration" program, organized "Exchange of Cultures to Promote Inclusion" event dedicated to World Refugee Day.
People who took refuge in Armenia from Congo, Haiti, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Myanmar and other countries prepared their national dishes: "Kabab Koobideh", "Fatush" salad, "Lavion" soup, Coconut milk noodle, "Jiramon" soup, Iraqi dolma.
The ARCS partners from the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the Kaza Swiss Foundation, the Migration and Citizenship Service of the RA Ministry of Internal Affairs, the NGO "Mission Armenia" and others were invited to the event.
- "Mariam Yazarlu, we have been living here for 7 years, we leave and come back every year, we like Armenia very much, it is calm here, we feel free and protected. Difficulties are mainly related to money, paying rent. Today we will also prepare a famous Persian dish- Kabab Koobideh".
- "I am Adra, 17 years old, we have been living in Armenia for 8 months. We like this city very much, everything is pretty and beautiful here. We don't encounter any difficulties, people are very kind and willing, and treat me well at school. Today, I came to help my mother prepare one of the famous dishes of Iraq- Dolma".
- "Manya Snounou, I am from Aleppo, Syria. We have been living here for 7 years. At first, my sons arrived here as they had problems with the army, they had to serve for 7-8 years. Then my husband and I arrived, but unfortunately my husband died early. We like Armenia very much, we got used to live here. The only difficulty is paying the rent. My sons have graduated their studies and now are working in IT. I work from home, I mainly take orders: Ishli kufta, dolma, cookies. I always participate in exhibitions organized by the Red Cross. And today I will make Fattoush salad, we like to make it very much".
- "Aung Win Han, I am from Myanmar, it is located near Thailand, we have been living here for 1.5 years, we like it very much, it is a great place to live. Today, together with my son, we will prepare one of the traditional dishes of Myanmar- Noodles with chicken breast and coconut milk".
- We work with refugees every day and we are happy that we are able to support you and contribute to your integration in Armenia, - said Hasmik Khachatryan, head of the Population Movement department of the ARCS, inviting the attendees to taste the appetizing dishes prepared by the refugees.